Download Ugandan English Dictionary apk 2.0 free for Android smartphone
Apk file size: 34.0 KB
Uganda English is the form of the English language spoken in Uganda. Ugandans mostly use British English, this is increasingly getting localised, resulting in English, particularly spoken English, that is uniquely Ugandan.
- Incorporation of words from the local languages, especially to express ideas or feelings that cannot be or are not easily expressed in the English language.
- Using local words as a prefix to English words to express a particular idea or quality. E.g. "ka-man" to
signify a small man and "ki-man" to refer to a big man.
- Local words popularised by politicians or celebrities.
- Downright misuse of the English language which becomes so widespread as to be accepted. E.g. Ugandans will say "borrow me some money" when they mean to say "lend me some money."
- Popular or classic brand names that are used generically, e.g pepsi for carbonated soft drinks, colgate for toothpaste, vespa for scooters etc
- Substituting the names of particular countries with those of their renowned cities. E.g He lives in London"
could mean he lives in the city of London or he lives in the United Kingdom.
ALBA part of our Lifestyle and have average installs from 10 to 50. Last Update Aug. 10, 2013. Google play rating is 66.4. Current verison is 2.0. Actual size 34.0 KB.